Exchange Server 2013 Preview Prerequisites Script – 2008 R2 SP1

*** UPDATE ***
Just corrected some issues with one of the prereq’s not installing. Also corrected grammar and misspellings.

While building my lab for Exchange 2013 Preview I was struck by how much of a pain the prerequisite installation was for my lab so I began working on an install script to handle this.   I used a script that I felt was extremely useful for Exchange 2010.   This base script was written by several Exchange MVPs who felt this would be something to spend the time on for the Exchange user base.  In that spirit I felt that I would try to create something that would give back to the Exchange community as well.   My script is a heavily modified version of their Exchange 2010 script.   Currently this script is in BETA format and should be used with caution.   I am currently going through revision testing now to work out any bugs, errors, etc that I have seen in my testing.

*** DISCLAIMER ***

DO NOT install Exchange Server 2013 Preview in a production environment.
This script is not supported by Microsoft.
This script is written AS IS. Use at your own risk

*** END DISCLAIMER ***
Credit must be given to the various sources I have used to create this script. I have heavily modified the original Exchange 2010 Prerequisite script that was created by Anderson Patricio, Bhargav Shukla and Pat Richard. See these links for information on that script:

Blog 1
Blog 2

Now that we have that out of the way, let’s get to the script and what it does. In Exchange Server 2013 Preview there are only two roles that can be installed, CAS and Mailbox. Each of these is accounted for in separate steps in the script. There are two reboot required due to the Windows Features installed as well as the Hot fixes installed.

The script is menu driven for ease of use. The current Menu looks like this:
***********************************************************
Exchange Server 2013 [On Windows 2008 R2] – Features script
***********************************************************

Please select an option from the list below.

1) Install Client Access Server prerequisites – STEP 1
2) Install Client Access Server prerequisites – STEP 2
3) Install Mailbox and or CAS/Mailbox prerequisites – STEP 1
4) Install Mailbox and or CAS/Mailbox prerequisites – STEP 2
5) Configure NetTCP Port Sharing service
(Required for the Client Access Server role
Automatically set for options 2 and 4)
6) Install 2010 Office System Converter: Microsoft Filter Pack 2.0
(Required if installing Mailbox Server roles
Automatically set for option 4)
7) Install Typical (CAS/Mailbox) prerequisites – STEP 2 [with .PDF ifilter; disable IPv6]
8) Disable TCP/IP v6
9) Install & Configure Adobe PDF Filter Pack
10) Launch Windows Update
16) Install – One Off – STEP 1 – Windows Components
17) Install – One Off – STEP 2 – .NET 4.5 RC
18) Install – One Off – STEP 3 – Windows Management Framework 3.0, RC
19) Install – One Off – STEP 4 – Unified Communications Managed API 4.0
20) Install – One Off – STEP 5 – Office 2010 Filter Pack (w/SP1)
21) Install – One Off – STEP 6 – WinIDFoundation
22) Install – One Off – STEP 7 – KB2619234 (Hotfix)
23) Install – One Off – STEP 8 – KB2533623
24) Install – One Off – Step 9 – Final Cleanup
98) Restart the Server
99) Exit

Menu selections 16-24 should be used just for installing individual components if you are missing them in your first attempts to install the prerequisites either with the script or on your own.

To install the CAS role, use Menu selections 1 and 2.  For the CAS/Mailbox or Mailbox Role servers, use Menu selections 3 and 4. Make sure you reboot in between steps and at the end of Step 2 or 4 depending on the role install you are performing.

The PDF Filter from the previous version has been left in the script as well.

Menu selection 24 is the cleanup of removing C++ and registering ASP. Net and running iisreset.

Please provide any feedback or improvements you would like to see in this script.

Last and certainly not least, this script is in BETA right now and is not completely finished.  I need to do some further testing to make sure it works 100% as expected.

Download the code from here. Rename the file from .doc to .ps1 to run it.

Thanks,

JAUCG

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s